Thursday, May 16, 2013
Transparent
by Natalie Whipple
Publishing: 5.21.13
Pages: 368

Plenty of teenagers feel invisible. Fiona McClean actually is.
An invisible girl is a priceless weapon. Fiona’s own father has been forcing her to do his dirty work for years—everything from spying on people to stealing cars to breaking into bank vaults. After sixteen years, Fiona’s had enough. She and her mother flee to a small town, and for the first time in her life, Fiona feels like a normal life is within reach. But Fiona’s father isn’t giving up that easily. Of course, he should know better than anyone: never underestimate an invisible girl.
*Many thanks to Harper for providing a review copy*

I've always thought invisibility would be one of the coolest super powers ever. I mean who wouldn't want to be able to sneak around without people know? HELLO!!! So, I was all for this book, when I heard about it? An invisible girl? With a crime lord father? Sign me up!! And this book really was a fun read. Totally worth a shot if you ask me. 

To be honest, I was a little biased going into this book. Because Fiona is named..well, Fiona. I know it's stupid, but I'm writing a book and my MC is named...you guessed it! Fiona! Therefore, I feel drawn to quirky girls named Fiona. It's just a random thing. Make of it what you will. But anyway, I found Fi to be a loverly narrator. She feels realistic, and even though there was a couple scenes where I was practically yelling at her face to turn around and do something else, she delivered nicely. Getting into her emotional isn't too hard, as that's a big part of this book, her dealing with the feelings and struggles of being So Different. I honestly don't have any main complaints about her. Fi is quaint, realistic and enjoyable. 


I feel like I have been extremely lucky to have some delicious love interests lately. They haven't been super dark and brooding, but fun and jolly. Boys that are the essence of a lovely YA romance. Welcome our next contestant...SETH! This is where I awkwardly forget his last name.  This romance is your typical, I LOVE THE HOT GUY AND HATE THE OTHER JERK BUT OH MY GOSH HOT GUY ISN'T THAT DEEP AND I'M TOTALLY CONNECTING WITH THE JERK. Yup. Pretty much. I was rooting for Seth all the time. There would be moments I was practically yelling in my head. "SHUT UP FI AND FACE THE TRUTH. YOU LIKE SETH NOT BRADY. BAAAAH." Seth has brains, in both the smarts and witty snark. He is kind of a jerk near the beginning, but in a sort of an endearing way, you know? He's not necessarily a bad boy, but he's got an edge to him. And I really did like him. I feel like he fits Fi's character wonderfully and with his own charm...I can't exactly complain. 

Except for one teeeny-tiny detail. I liked the romance, yes we know, BUT BUT BUT. There were some scenes when the characters would have this AWESOME moment and I'd be all. "kiss. kiss. kiss. OH GOSH JUST KISS HER ALREADY. kiss. kiss. MAKE YOUR MOVE GIRLFRIEND. kiss......" and it wouldn't happen. Like twice I think. And then. AND THEN. They kiss at the end. But it is like the wimpiest kiss of all YA kisses. Describe it. Make it wonderful. You've built these characters up in a romance and then. "I tackle him and kiss him?" What is this?! *sighs* Ah well. At least I have a lovely imagination to think up a scene. 

MILES. Oh Miles. I kinda wish you were the love interest instead. You are so funny, realistic, and just so FREAKING. AWESOME that you are like the light of this book. Literally. I like you most out of every character. You have an endearment that just makes me wish you were my big brother. Seriously. Miles is like my ideal love interested turned Big Brother. And I've always wanted one of those, so I appreciate him all the more!! He's a quirky guy, and when he gets his moment to shine. BOOM. THE WORLD KNOWS. Okay, well, it's pretty awesome. I'm thinking the sequel should be all about Miles. Yup, I'm so cool with that. 

Going into this book, I wasn't sure what to expect with the world building, and setting of the story. I'd heard multiple things, but nothing was set in stone. So I went into this with curiosity. Hionestly? It took a while to build up. It was kinda slow. A little ways in we get a nice rough cut-out of how the world came to develop certain aspects, but I wish she she had been a little clearer on some things. Like when you meet someone with a power, come right and say what it is, and what it does. Don't make me wait and guess, until I have proof of what it is. Or, when you have these two big villains, explain how the world changed in that regard to allow for a society like this. I felt like there were a few things were just missing. BUT, to reassure you, it's not enough to mess the book up! I got along fine, even with the slower rise of world-building and development. I actually enjoyed the supernatural aspects of the book. 

So, while there were a few bugs in the program, mostly I sucked this baby up. It's fun, interesting with a bucket load of interesting scenarios and some pure character gems. Natalie has a really lovely voice that is very easy to dive right into. Fiona will warm your heart, Seth will make you swoon, and Miles will blow the pants of both of them. Can you tell he's my favorite? Transparent is totally worth a shot if you like a good YA romance with a slap of supernatural.

Content: Mild
[some language including the S word a few times. some innuendo. a kiss]
5 stars

Well folks, that's my blurb on this book. What is your take? Have you read it? Do you agree, more or less? Are you planning to read it when it comes out next week? XOXO, 


0 comments:

Search Me:


Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Grab My Button!

Photobucket

Total Pageviews