Tuesday, May 7, 2013
The Selection
by Kierra Cass
Published: 4.24.12
Pages: 327

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined. 
Aaah, where to begin? This book was so much fun. I devoured it. Being a sucker for princess books as I am, America's story totally appealed to my inner girl. I'm not saying this book was pitch perfect. Because it's not. However I do love this book hardcore. So, let the fangirl begin!!


America is one of those characters who you aren't completely sure what you think of her. In the beginning of the book we see a deeper, harder side of her. She's a skeptical, sometimes rash kind of girl. America does what she wants, without worrying about the rules. 


 She suffers first love and first heartbreak while being rushed into something she doesn't want. I felt that her attitude was realistic, although somewhat harsh. But when I really loved her the most was when she in the palace and you could see her inner emotions coming out. I felt well connected with America there. I loved some of the things I saw her feel and so. She's a different person, but still America. In my case, she was a lot more likable in those circumstances. I would definitely say that she is a firm and strong character. Not to mention she sings. That's kinda legit, despite her name...

This book tends to have either a love it, or hate it relationship with readers. One of the most important aspects of this that I have seen is the world building. I gotta admit, it's a very interesting world. It's dystopian, but it's not. It's futuristic, but it's not. It's historical, but it's not. Bits and pieces of many different styles of societies are kind of mashed together to form a whole. Honestly, it's not something that bugged me, I was more invested in the emotional storyline to worry about the surroundings. But it was neat to pick up these threads of the world as you read and try to gauge if and how things work. So while the world didn't drive me insane either way, I found it was interesting, ironic in some ways, and overall enjoyable. 

Life at the palace is obviously a big part of this novel. We are introduced to a whole new array of characters and lifestyles as a result of this. Kierra did a lovely job of setting up the fellow Selected and giving us a taste of their personalities and different characteristics. You can tell right away who is the mean girl, who is the shy girl, who is the steady, loyal friend. On a side note, I adored Gavril. We don't see much of him, but he's the announcer and he's got a fun character about him. He's like the Caeaser Flickerman of the book. 


To be honest, it kinda felt like the plot wasn't going to an immediate goal. Sure the ultimate goal is finding that one girl to be with Prince Maxon, but it's a goal designed to fit a triology. Not one book. So, what was the climax of this book? Honestly, nothing. The competition is narrowed, we have drama, America makes some decisions, but there isn't an overall "this-is-the-new-world" to "this-is-the-problem" to "oh-look-it's-a-climax". Not that it's a bad this. With all the princess and emotional yum in it, I wasn't complaining. But at the end of the day, the ending didn't feel resounding with me. 

Finally, the best for last. Maxon. Oh mamma mia, let me tell you about Maxon. Maxon is the light of this book. He is THE REASON I adored it as much as I did. He's kind of a funny guy. The first slight impression you get is a little odd, but he warms into this goofball, earnest, strong, down-to-earth guy who's got a brain and a witty tongue. His conversations with America would make me giggle like a little school girl. And when we would read of his pure hotness, I would fangirl. I'm not kidding. True story: there is a scene when Maxon is described to walk in with his jacket off, sleeves rolled up and hair mused. I. Nearly. Died. I think I reread that like five times and just sat there doing this: 


Sooo. I am Team Maxon. Through and through. Aspen annoys the crap out of me. For like 40 pages he's hot and you want to root for him. Then, turn the page and he's a jerk! Then he's just "redeemed". Then it's all this rocky relationship. I'm sorry America, I know he's your first love, but Maxon is the winner her. MAXON MAXON MAXON MAXON. I think we can all agree on this one.
Kierra has a nice simple writing style. She shares the story well, and for the most part it's easily read and there isn't much to distract you. If you're like me, you'll be sucked into the story. Full of wit and a mish-mash of emotions and happenings, it's a story that will appeal to many, but to others will not. Luckily for me, despite the minor issues I had, this book was a total win-win.

Content: Mild
[some light language, innuendo and kissing throughout]
Well, I have said my piece. Now it's your turn! Do you share my dorky love for this book? For Maxon? Do you want to read this one? Have you read the Elite yet? Spam me! XOXO,




kakakakaka

0 comments:

Search Me:


Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Grab My Button!

Photobucket

Total Pageviews